How to cook Teriyaki chicken.
Servings: 4 people
- 450 g chicken leg/鶏もも肉/鷄脾/鸡腿肉
- 2-3 Tbsp potatostarch/片栗粉/番薯澱粉/淀粉
- 100 ml water/水
- 3 Tbsp sake/酒/清酒
- 3 Tbsp sweet sake/みりん/味醂
- 3 Tbsp soysauce/醤油
- 1.5 Tbsp sugar/砂糖/糖
- Pat dry excess moist of chicken thigh with kitchen paper. Cut into bite size pieces or just divide into 2 large pieces. Sprinkle flour or starch on both sides.
- Add little oil to heated pan and fry both sides of chicken until the skin rendered fat and browned.
- Wipe excess oil from the pan using kitchen paper. You may or may not remove the chicken from the pan when doing this.
- Add water and seasonings and simmer for at least 15 minutes or until chicken is cooked and some sauce evaporates. Turn the chicken pieces once or twice.
- When the sauce is finally reduced, scoop some and pour on top of each chicken. At this point sauce becomes concentrated and sticky you want to coat each chicken fairly.
- When all sauce has almost caramelised, turn off the heat. Let the chicken cool and slice into bite size pieces.
- Transfer to a serving plate and top with some sesame.
To skip the cutting part after cooking, you may cut the chicken into smaller pieces right before cooking. Just remember that if they are cut smaller the more sauce will penetrate making the taste more intense. If you would like to make it lightly flavored, cooking it whole and chopping afterwards may help.