Servings: 4 people
- 450 g chicken leg/鶏もも肉/鷄脾/鸡腿肉
- 2 carrot/にんじん/紅蘿蔔/红萝卜
- 1 gobou/ごぼう/牛蒡
- 2 taro/里芋/芋頭
- 1 konnyaku/こんにゃく/蒟蒻
- 400 ml water/水
- 1-2 Tbsp sesame oil/ごま油/芝麻油
- 3 Tbsp soysauce/醤油
- 3 Tbsp sake/酒/清酒
- 3 Tbsp sweet sake/みりん/味醂
- 1 Tbsp sugar/砂糖/糖
- 1 Tbsp fish broth powder/粉末だし/木魚粉
- ½ tsp salt/塩/鹽
- Cut chicken into bite size pieces. Pat dry excess moisture. Mix with sake and soy to marinate. Leave it for at least 10 minutes.
- Peel or scrape burdock root and cut into wedges or triangular shape.
- Cut carrot and taro into wedges as well.
- Cut konjac into bite size triangular shape. You may boil it quick to remove the smell.
- Heat sesame oil in a pan. Put chicken and saute for few minutes until color changes. I prefer to brown it a little to add flavour. After lightly browned, transfer chicken into a plate.
- In the same pot, add sesame oil if needed and add the vegetables. Stir and coat well with oil.
- Pour in water and dashi. Bring to a boil and skim the foam and oil from top.
- Bring back in the chicken. Add seasonings and put otoshibuta or drop lid. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Check the hard vegetables like burdock and taro if already tender. Remove drop lid and boil for another 10 mins without cover. Let some broth evaporate.
- When all ingredients are soft enough, adjust the taste to your preference and youre done.
- Let it sit while cooling for 30 minutes or more though if you want the flavor to be absorbed even more.
How to cook Chikuzenni rice↓