Cod fish and vegetable miso soup
We usually buy a bony part of fish scrap at market as it's cheap but makes tasty soup.
Total Time10 mins
Servings: 4 people
- 100 grams cod fish/タラ/鱈魚 scrap part
- ½ spring onion/長ネギ/青蔥 (carrot, onion, any vegetables fine)
- 3-4 slices ginger/ショウガ/薑/姜
- 2-3 Tbsp miso/味噌
- 2 tsp fish broth powder/粉末だし/木魚粉
- 4 cups water/水
- Wash cod fish and remove blood clots if there is. Drain well.
- Slice ginger. Cut vegetable of choice. This time we used spring onion and was cut diagonally.
- Put water, cod fish, dashi powder, ginger and spring onion into a pot and bring to a boil. Skim the foam and scum from the soup.
- Once fish is cooked. Around 5-7 minutes depends on size of fish. Turn off heat. Add miso paste. Use a sieve or small strainer to dissolve miso into the soup or dissolve it in a laddle or bowl first and put into soup.
If using larger pieces of cod fish, you may cut it into smaller pieces before boiling. Or if it is impossible to cut bony parts like cheeks, you may boil it whole at first for few minutes, scoop it, remove fish bones, tear it into bite size ones and put back in the soup. Be careful not to over cook fish.