How to cook handmade Gyoza.
Total Time30 mins
Servings: 4 people
- 360 g minced pork/豚ミンチ/免治豬肉
- 1 cup cabbage/キャベツ/卷心菜 chopped
- ½ cup chinese chives/ニラ/韭菜 chopped
- gyoza wrapper/餃子の皮 ready made
- 3 Tbsp all purpose flour/小麦粉・薄力粉/面粉和薄力面粉
- 2 Tbsp oil/油
- 1 tsp sake/酒/清酒
- 1 Tbsp soysauce/醤油
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil/ごま油/芝麻油
- 2 tsp sugar/砂糖/糖
- 4 tsp okonomiyaki sauce/お好みソース/薄餅汁 oysetr sauce can be a substitute
- 1 clove garlic/にんにく/大蒜 grated
- 1 inch ginger/ショウガ/薑/姜 grated
- little salt/塩/鹽
- little pepper/胡椒
- Wash cabbage and remove the hard stem part. Chop into tiny pieces.
- Chop the chives into small pieces.
- If using fresh garlic and ginger, grate or shred it.
- In a mixing bowl, place the pork and add little salt and pepper. Knead well using hand or spatula.
- Add vegetables and seasonings together with pork. Knead or mix it in one direction very well until it becomes sticky.
- Place the gyoza wrapper in one hand and scoop a teaspoonful size and put at the centre of wrapper. Dip your fingertip in the water and run through the entire side of gyoza wrapper. Fold in half moon shape and press the centre part but do not seal yet. Carefully make pleats with the upper part (leave the lower edge straight) of the fold either left to right, right to left or even towards the center. Gently press the pleats of gyoza on more time to ensure sealing.
- Press the bottom of gyoza onto a flour powder. This helps your gyoza become crispy.
- Heat the pan properly and add oil.
- Place the gyoza bottom side down on the pan and leave enough space in between to prevent sticking to one another.
- Fry until becomes brown then pour enough water to cover just tje surface of pan, cover and steam for about 3 minutes.
- Remove the cover and let the liquid evaporates, and fry more to create crispy brown gyoza bottom.
- Transfer into a frying rack or plate layered with kitchen paper with the crisp or bottom side facing up to avoid losing the crispness.