A hearty and quick Japanese stew that is best paired with rice.
Servings: 4 people
- 300 g beef (sliced)/牛肉スライス/牛肉(薄片)
- 1 ½ onion/たまねぎ/洋葱 sliced
- 450 ml water/水
- 1 Tbsp oil/油
- ½ pack hayashi cubes/ハヤシライス/日式香雅飯 ready made hayashi paste/cubes
- Remove excess moist from the beef and cut beef into bite size pieces.
- Slice onion into about 1 cm thick strips.
- Heat oil in a pan and saute onion until edges are brown.
- Add beef slices and stir fry together. Once well coated with oil add water and bring to a boil. Skim off the foam and scum and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Turn off fire and add hayashi cubes. Mix well until cubes are well dissolved.
- Turn on heat once again and simmer for another 10 minutes under low fire.
You can also add other like mushroom and carrots or other vegetable you prefer.