Total Time1 hr
Servings: 4 people
- 500 g pork belly block/豚バラブロック/五花腩肉/五花猪肉
- 3 egg/卵/鷄蛋/鸡蛋 boiled
- 200 g radish/大根/白蘿蔔/白萝卜
- 1 thumb ginger/ショウガ/薑/姜
- 400 ml water/水
- 200 ml sake/酒/清酒
- 100 ml soysauce/醤油
- 50 ml sweet sake/みりん/味醂
- 3 tbsp sugar/砂糖/糖
- Cut pork belly into desired size. About an inch wide is good.*boil the eggs and peel beforehand.
- Cut radish into 2cm thick moon shape.
- Slice ginger or grate if preferred.
- In a pan, sear each side of pork until pretty brown. You may or may not add oil anymore. Drain or wipe excess oil.
- In a pot, place the pork and the rest of ingredients except eggs and radish. Bring to a boil and lower heat to medium once boiling. Place a drop lid or a tin foil on top , cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add radish and eggs and simmer for another 30 minutes without the pot's cover. Leave drop lid on. Let simmer until sauce is reduced and thickened.
- Mix carefully once or twice to distribute the flavor well. Check if everything is tender enough, turn off heat and serve.
To save time, you may use a pressure cooker to make it tender and juicy in minutes. Rice cooker will work fine as well, pork will turn out perfectly soft and prevents them from tearing apart.