How to cook Kanroni.
Sweet Potato Nimono (Kanroni)
Servings: 4 people
- 200 g sweet potato/さつまいも/番薯/红薯
- 2 Tbsp sugar/砂糖/糖
- 2 Tbsp sweet sake/みりん/味醂
- 1 tsp soysauce/醤油
- Wash sweet potato and slice into 2cm thick, round shapes for easy eating.
- Lay flat each pieces in pan or wide bas pot to avoid overlapping.
- Put enough water to submerge each pieces. You may adjust later when needed.
- Put sugar, mirin and soysauce and gently swirl the pan to mix well. Bring to a boil.
- Once the liquid is half the height of potatoes , carefully flip each pieces to cook evenly.
- Check the softness with a toothpick and may add more water if needed. Boil until all liquid has evaporated.
*For every 100g of sweet potato use 1 tbsp of sugar and mirin. Soysauce is optional so you can skip it if you want. And to save the cooking time you may use otoshibuta or drop lid. This will help circulate flavour properly and cook the potatoes easier.