Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time20 mins
- 2 pcs gobou/ごぼう/牛蒡
- 1 carrot/にんじん/紅蘿蔔/红萝卜 medium
- ¾ cup water/水 for dashi soup
- 1/2 tbsp fish broth powder/粉末だし/木魚粉 for dashi soup
- 1 T sesame oil/ごま油/芝麻油
- sesame/ごま/芝麻 for toppings
- 2 T sake/酒/清酒
- 1½ T soysauce/醤油
- 1 T sugar/砂糖/糖
- 1 T sweet sake/みりん/味醂
- Wash vegetables and peel. You may use peeler for gobou or just scrape off skin with a knife.
- Cut carrot into thin strips, about 2-3cm long. Thinly slice gobou and form into strips as well. Gobou sometimes are bit hard so cut thinly to cook faster.
- Heat the pan. Put sesame oil and quickly sauté carrot, put into a bowl ang set aside. Add more oil if needed and sauté gobou.
- Mix fish broth powder and water to make dashi soup and pour it into pan and boil them for 10 mins. I prefer to boil the gobou for few more minutes before adding the carrot since it is harder.
- When the gobou is soft enough, add carrot and the seasonings and boil for few more minutes until carrot becomes soft but not overly cooked. Let some of the sauce evaporates.
- Finally top with sesame seeds and enjoy!