Lotus Root (Renkon) Hamburg
Enjoy and level up your hamburg experience with the taste of crunchy and sweet lotus roots in every bite.
Total Time45 mins
Servings: 6 people
- 200 g minced pork/豚ミンチ/免治豬肉 chicken or beef is okay too
- 1 pack tofu/豆腐
- 1 onion/たまねぎ/洋葱
- 1 egg/卵/鷄蛋/鸡蛋
- 1 tsp garlic/にんにく/大蒜
- 1 tsp ginger/ショウガ/薑/姜
- 1 Tbsp miso/味噌
- 1 Tbsp milk/牛乳/牛奶
- 1 Tbsp sake/酒/清酒
- ½ cup flower powder/小麦粉・強力粉/面粉和强力面粉 all-purpose flour(May adjust amount later)
- Litte salt/塩/鹽
- little pepper/胡椒
- 1 tsp vinegar/酢/醋 to soak lotus root
- Wash and peel lotus root. Slice around half cm thick. And soak for 10 mins in water with vinegar. Drain and place on kitchen paper to absorb excess moisture.Make sure the slices are even number to make into pairs.
- Meanwhile prepare the patty mixture. Mince onion and slowly stir fry it into a pan with little oil . Putting a pinch of salt helps to release the water easier. Until the onion turns translucent and soft. This process brings out the natural sweetness of the onion. Let it cool off.
- Shred or mince the garlic and ginger.
- Drain the excess water of tofu and use kitchen paper to pat dry the surface. This prevents the mixture to become too watery.
- Mix the ingredients for the patty altogether. Take time to mix for a while using clean hands or spatula to help the ingredients bind well together. This makes the mixture less moist as well.
- When mixture is ready, lay lotus root slices on a clean surface or layered with kitchen paper and sprinkle with flour or potatostarch. This helps hold the mixture and renkon together.
- Using a spoon, scoop some mixture and place on one slice of renkon and gently press to fill in the holes. Do the same thing on another piece of lotus root and finally put them together. Making it into a sandwich like patty and with your fingers smoothen the edges.
- Heat oil in a pan and fry the patties until each side turns golden brown, about 2-4 minutes. Remove from pan and place on kitchen paper to remove excess oil.
- Serve warm. With or without dip, it tastes amazing.
Aim for a less moist meat mixture for it may cause the lotus root slide off the patty when assembled into mini-burgers. Also they may likely break apart while you cook so make the mixture thick enough to stay intact. One problem you may also encounter with renkon hamburg is when the one side of renkon separates from the whole patty. So to avoid this, make sure to properly stuff the meat inside the holes if you can and by carefully flipping them. And not to put too much patty in one go. So you can have wider space to flip the burgers.