Total Time20 mins
Servings: 4 people
- 300 g minced pork/豚ミンチ/免治豬肉
- 300 g tofu/豆腐
- 1 onion/たまねぎ/洋葱
- 1 Tbsp chili/豆板醤/辣椒
- 1 clove garlic/にんにく/大蒜
- 1 Tbsp oil/油 chilli oil if preferred
- 1 cup water/水 may adjust during cooking
- 2 Tbsp water/水
- 2 Tbsp potatostarch/片栗粉/番薯澱粉/淀粉
- 2 Tbsp miso/味噌
- 2 Tbsp sugar/砂糖/糖
- 1 Tbsp sake/酒/清酒
- 1 Tbsp soysauce/醤油
- 1 tsp chicken soup powder/チキンスープの素/鷄湯粉
- Put water and starch in a bowl and mix thoroughly. Set aside.
- Mince the onion, garlic and chilli pepper if using fresh ones
- Slice tofu into cubes about 2cm thick.
- Heat chilli oil in a pan, fry minced pork until pretty browned.
- Add onion and stir fry until caramelised or soft.
- Add chilli pepper and garlic. Stir fry until aromatic.
- Add water and seasonings. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- When meat is well cooked, stir the water-starch mixture first to dissolve and slowly pour on the pan. Stir until becomes thick.
- Lastly add tofu and slowly stir so as not to break them. Simmer for few more minutes until most of sauce evaporated.
You may adjust the amount of water while boiling the meat for some may evaporate. Also add more chilli if you like it more spicy. And finally the texture of mabotofu lies on the starch mixture so make sure to whisk the mixture properly to avoid lumps on the sauce.