How to cook Nikujyaga.
Servings: 4 people
- 200 g beef (sliced)/牛肉スライス/牛肉(薄片) thin sliced pork belly is fine, too
- 1 onion/たまねぎ/洋葱
- 1 carrot/にんじん/紅蘿蔔/红萝卜
- 2 potato/じゃがいも/薯仔/土豆
- 1 Tbsp oil/油
- 2 Tbsp fish broth powder/粉末だし/木魚粉
- 2 cups water/水
- 4 Tbsp soysauce/醤油
- 4 Tbsp sweet sake/みりん/味醂
- 2 Tbsp sake/酒/清酒
- 1 Tbsp sugar/砂糖/糖
- Wash, peel and cut vegetables. Cut potato and carrot into 1-2cm cubes/wedges. Slice onion to 1cm thick.
- Cut sliced beef into bite size.
- Mix fish powder with water to make dashi broth. Set aside.
- Put onion in a pot with oil. When onions are coated, add beef and saute until no longer pink.
- Add in the vegetables. Pour dashi stock and seasonings. Bring to a boil.
- When boiling remove the foam. Make sure ingredients is almost covered by broth.
- Place otoshibuta (drop lid) or improvised one using aluminum foil. Simmer under low to medium heat for 10-15 minutes. Or until vegetables are cooked.
- Turn off heat and let it sit for at least 30 minutes. So flavor will deeply absorbed by the ingredients.