Servings: 4 people
- 4 onion/たまねぎ/洋葱
- 80 grams butter/バター/奶油/牛油
- 1 Tbsp chicken soup powder/チキンスープの素/鷄湯粉
- ½ tsp salt/塩/鹽
- 6 cups water/水
- Cut onions in half, then lengthwise and finally slice vertically and thinly.
- Place onion, butter and 1 ½ cup of water in a pan. Boil while stirring for 20 minutes or more. Until the water dries a little out and onion starts to brown.
- When it turns brown and dries out, add 2-3 tbsp of water each time ,repeat for 4-5 times. Mix constantly and be careful not burn onions. Put heat on low to medium. Using spatula, scrape off the browned bottom from the pan and constantly stirring it. The brown parts adds umami to the soup.
- When in last round of browning , add 6-8 cups of water. Put chicken powder and half tsp salt. Simmer for 8-10 minutes. Remove the foam that accumulates on top. Adjust taste to your preference.
- May transfer into locked container and store in fridge for 2-3 days.