How to cook Karaage.
Pan Fry Karaage
Servings: 4 people
- 1 pack chicken leg/鶏もも肉/鷄脾/鸡腿肉 boneless
- 4 Tbsp all purpose flour/小麦粉・薄力粉/面粉和薄力面粉
- 4 Tbsp potatostarch/片栗粉/番薯澱粉/淀粉
- 4 Tbsp oil/油
- 2 Tbsp sake/酒/清酒
- 2 Tbsp shirodashi soup broth/白だし if you don't have, you can follow how to make shirodashi as following
- 1 Tbsp soysauce/醤油
- 1 tsp sesame oil/ごま油/芝麻油
- 1 tsp garlic/にんにく/大蒜
- 1 tsp ginger/ショウガ/薑/姜
- liitle salt/塩/鹽
- 100 ml water/水
- 50 ml sweet sake/みりん/味醂
- 1 ½ tsp soysauce/醤油
- 2 tsp salt/塩/鹽
- 1 ½ tsp fish broth powder/粉末だし/木魚粉
- Place the water and all seasonings except fish powder or dashi in a pan and boil slowly.
- Allow the alcohol to evaporate and turn off the heat. Add the dashi powder and mix well. May store in refrigerator in an airtight jar for future use for as long as 1 week. Mix well before using.
Make thethe Karaage
- Cut chicken into bite size pieces. Place in a plastic bag and add the seasoning for marinade. Leave for at 5 minutes, but if you have time at least 30 minutes will be better.
- Remove excess liquid from chicken. Mix the flour and starch and sprinkle over the chicken pieces. Make sure that all sides are coated enough.You can use a sieve to sprinkle over the powder.
- Heat oil in a pan, put the chicken pieces cover and cook at least 3 minutes each side or fry until becomes golden brown and crispy.
- Transfer to a frying rock or use kitchen paper to absorb excess oil.
You can make it more crispy by frying it twice. After frying the first time, take out from pan and let it cool. Fry one more time to create crispy outside.