Saba Fish Miso
Nutritious mackerel simmered in a tasty miso sauce
Servings: 4 people
- 2 pcs saba/サバ/鯖魚/鲅鱼 fillet
- 1 Tbsp ginger/ショウガ/薑/姜 cut into strips
- 1 piece spring onion/長ネギ/青蔥 white part
- 200 cc water/水
- 1 Tbsp miso/味噌
- 3 Tbsp sake/酒/清酒
- 2 Tbsp sweet sake/みりん/味醂
- 1 Tbsp sugar/砂糖/糖
- ½ Tbsp soysauce/醤油
- Wash and cut saba filet into 3 – 4 parts. Cut spring onion into 1 inch long pieces. Cut ginger into thin strips.
- Boil water in a pan. When boiling put in ginger and spring onion. Let boil for 1-2 mins.
- Add saba into boiling pan with skin side up.
- Pour in liquid seasonings. When boiling, skim the foam/ scum from the broth.
- Add miso. Turn down heat to low and let simmer uncovered while scooping sauce and pour on top of each saba from time to time until sauce thickens.
Please don’t skip the part where you scoop out sauce and pour on top of the fish while it cooks. The saba will absorb more flavor this way thus making it more savoury that you will surely love in the end.