Sweet and Sour Simmered Chicken and Potato
Servings: 4 people
- 300 g chicken leg/鶏もも肉/鷄脾/鸡腿肉 boneless
- 4-5 pcs potato/じゃがいも/薯仔/土豆 Small
- 1 spring onion/長ネギ/青蔥 white part
- 1 cup water/水
- 1 Tbsp fish broth powder/粉末だし/木魚粉
- 2 Tbsp sake/酒/清酒
- 2 Tbsp soysauce/醤油
- 1 ½ Tbsp sugar/砂糖/糖
- 1 Tbsp sweet sake/みりん/味醂
- 2 Tbsp vinegar/酢/醋
- Cut chicken into bite size pieces. You may trim excess fat or chicken skin if you prefer.
- Cut spring onion into 3-4cm long.
- In a bowl, mix all ingredients and make sure sugar is well dissolved.
- Peel and cut potatoes into quarters or smaller size for easy eating. Soak in water to prevent darkening.
- Add little oil if using skinless chicken but you may not use oil if chicken skin is included. Fry chicken with skin side down and cook each side until becomes brown. Fat will render from it later on.
- Add spring onion and potatoes, fry and let it brown a little as well. You may wipe excess oil from the pan with kitchen paper.
- When ingredients are pretty browned add water and fish powder or dashi. Bring it to a boil under high heat.
- Once boiling, add seasonings. Turn heat to medium level and place cover or drop lid. Simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove cover and simmer until almost all of sauce has evaporated. Carefully stir once or twice not to break potatoes.