Simmered Radish and Konyaku
Total Time10 mins
Servings: 4 people
- 200 g konnyaku/こんにゃく/蒟蒻
- 200 g radish/大根/白蘿蔔/白萝卜
- 3-4 grams bonito/かつお節/鰹魚花
- 1 cup water/水
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil/ごま油/芝麻油
- 2 Tbsp mentsuyu/めんつゆ/麵汁
- 1 tsp fish broth powder/粉末だし/木魚粉
- 1 tsp ginger/ショウガ/薑/姜 grated
- Wash konjac and cut into bite size cubes. Place in a plastic bag and put 2 tsp sugar. Knead well until sugar dissolves and leave for at least 5 minutes.
- Peel radish and cut into same size as konjac or even thinner of you wish.
- Heat a pan and put sesame oil.
- Squeeze the water out from konjac and put in the pan. Fry quickly.
- Add radish and stir in for 2-3 minutes until the edges becomes clear.
- Add the water and seasonings together. Cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes. You may also use drop lid (otoshibuta) if you wish. This will soften the ingredients faster.
- When sauce almost dries up. Add the bonito flakes. Stir a little and you're done.
You may also pre boil the radish and konjac before simmering. If you cut the radish into cubes, you can soften it a little by boiling with a little salt for at least 5 minutes. This helps to absorb much flavour too. Boiling is believed also to make konjac absorb more flavor, plus removes the smell.