How to cook Sukiyaki.
Servings: 4 people
- 300 g beef (sliced)/牛肉スライス/牛肉(薄片)
- 1 pack konnyaku/こんにゃく/蒟蒻
- ½ carrot/にんじん/紅蘿蔔/红萝卜
- ½ onion/たまねぎ/洋葱
- 4 pcs mushroom(shiitake)/しいたけ/香菇
- 1 spring onion/長ネギ/青蔥
- 1½ pack tofu/豆腐
- 3 bunches spinach/ほうれん草/菠菜
- 60 ml sake/酒/清酒
- 60 ml sweet sake/みりん/味醂
- 60 ml soysauce/醤油
- 2 Tbsp sugar/砂糖/糖
- Cut meat into bite size pieces. Cut spring onion diagonally, carrot into shapes you prefer, the spinach 3-4cm long, remove stem of mushrooms, onions 1cm thick alices, konnyaku into knots, and tofu about 2cm thick.
- Mix the liquid seasonings and sugar in a bowl. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan. Saute the onion and spring onion until they get a little brown edges. Transfer and set aside.
- In the same pan put the meat and add half of the sauce. Stir fry until meat changes in color. Take out some of the meat and leave some.
- One by one add the vegetables arranging one beside each other. Pour the remaining sauce, cover and cook for about 1 minute.
- Remove the cover and boil until all the water evaporates.At this part you may put back rest of the meat just right before turning off the heat.
If you can buy Japanese egg for raw consumption, you can dip sukiyaki in the egg!