Tofu Hijiki Hamburg
Servings: 4 People
- 450 g minced pork/豚ミンチ/免治豬肉 Minced beef or chicken is fine too
- 1 cup hijiki/ひじき/羊栖菜 used leftover hijiki salad
- 2 packs tofu/豆腐
- 1 egg/卵/鷄蛋/鸡蛋
- 1 whole onion/たまねぎ/洋葱
- ½ cup flower powder/小麦粉・強力粉/面粉和强力面粉 all purpose flower
- 1 Tbsp miso/味噌
- 1 Tbsp milk/牛乳/牛奶
- 1 Tbsp mayonnaise/マヨネーズ/蛋黃醬
- 1 clove garlic/にんにく/大蒜 minced
- 1 tsp ginger/ショウガ/薑/姜
- 1 Tbsp sake/酒/清酒
- salt/塩/鹽 to taste
- pepper/胡椒 to taste
- Mince onion and slowly stir fry it into a pan with little oil . Putting a pinch of salt helps to release the water easier. Until the onion turns translucent and soft. This process brings out the natural sweetness of the onion.onion. Let it cool.
- Shred or mince the garlic and ginger.
- Drain the excess water of tofu using colander or may use kitchen towel to pat dry the surface. This process prevents the mixture to become too watery.
- Basically you need to mix all the ingredients for the hamburg patty. In a big mixing bowl, put all the ingredients together and using a spatula mix it very well. Using your hands to mix is perfect too. Just make sure they're clean or use a plastic gloves safe for food. The amount of flour you need may vary so you have to judge if the consistency of the mixture is thick enough to make patties.
- When you achieved the right texture, you may use your hands or any tool you prefer to make patties with your desired size and shape. Although patties usually are flat, round or oval in shape you can be experimental and just do it your way. Just bare in mind that the thicker they are the more time needed to cook them.
- Now heat little oil in a pan and fry the patties on both sides. Make sure not to overcrowd the pan so as to easily flip the patties and to cook them properly.
- Lastly, place cooked patties on a plate or rack layered with kitchen paper to absorb excess oil. I usually arrange them in an slightly upright position, about 45° to help the oil move downward off the patty.
- Enjoy your patty with homemade or store-bought sauce or even just by itself. Can also be paired with rice or carbohydrates of your choice.
How to cook “Hijiki salad” —> ひじきの煮物(Hijiki Salad) Recipe
Based on my experience, you have to make sure to achieve the right consistency of the patty mixture to avoid too soft or hard patty texture. So technically, when the mixture is moist or wet, your patty will be softer and easily breaks so adding more flour may fix the problem. And adding more milk to make it moist on the other hand.
Plus just before making batches of patties,I fry a tiny piece of mixture first to check if the flavor is good enough or needs more salt or anything. Or if the texture needs fixing. In my opinion, it really needs a little extra effort if you want a good hamburg meal.